Friday, May 9, 2014

Busy Season

I haven't been here in a while and it's not because I haven't wanted to. My dad is a CPA so growing up, my family always referred to February-April as busy season. As a lacrosse player and coach with a husband who is going into accounting, the term "busy season" lives on.
I just finished another season of coaching a high school JV team. We actually had enough girls try out this year that we ended up with two JV teams (plus a varsity team). I pretty much took the JV program and ran with it until we found a coach for the second JV team, then I head coached my own team and helped with the other two. I learn so much from it every year and I love it. Throughout the season I had a lot of profound things to blog about but because it was a sort of whirlwind I will just be vague about the season for journaling purposes. 
My team ended the 7 and 3, for season games. I am not sure what our overall record was. Mostly what I care about is that they all improved as players and as a team.
The second JV team ended the season 2-8, which looks like a horrible record but the team consisted of 6 girls who had ever played lacrosse before February; they played many of the same teams that my 'experienced' JV team played. This team made incredible improvements and it was fun to watch.
Varsity ended their season 11-1, and first place in their region. They have won their first playoff game and I sincerely hope they take state this year. 
The past 8 years I have learned so much from lacrosse- playing and coaching. I still love it now as much as I did as a senior in high school and so what? I love being able to give back what the sport gave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment