Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four Corners

Day two of our road trip consisted of a whole lot of driving through the middle of nowhere. New Mexico, apparently, is almost as bad as Wyoming.
We stopped at the four corners, which is what I expected- boring and worth seeing. The monument was  run by Native Americans trying to sell their jewelry and decorations. I thought I'd see that everywhere in New Mexico, so I didn't give much thought into buying anything there. Looking back, I wish I would have! They had some really cool, authentic stuff! 
Little O in four places at once!
That other family photo bombing us <<<
And a postpartum back-bend. Yikes!

Then, we were back on the road! I wanted to see Chaco Culture- a National Park of Native American Ruins. So, we drove way out of the way in order to spend time here. We turned when we saw the signs and discovered that in order to reach Chaco Culture, one must drive about 12 miles (45 minutes) on a dirt road. It was this point in time that I discovered my fear of being alone. 
A couple miles onto the road, we were out of service, in the middle of nowhere, with LITERALLY no one and nothing around. Completely alone, and I was terrified! I chickened out and told Gavin to turn the car around, It was hot outside, we had a baby in the car, and we were driving a Mazda that had just reached 200,000 miles. If something were to have happened to us, we would have been screwed. I've never been so scared in my life. If anyone every wants to go back here in a car that is more than 5 inches off the ground and has less than a six digits on the odometer, let me know. I'd still love to visit this place.

Not going to lie, there were some sketchy parts of New Mexico. And the only other things I could find to do were hikes to hot springs. That did not sound appealing with the weather conditions! In all, day two consisted of a long long time on the road. (A.K.A. lots of Signing Time and Baby Einstein on the portable DVD player). We finally made it to Santa Fe and booked ourselves into a hotel where we spent the next couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment